Wasp Stings – 5 Most Frequent Questions

Wasp Stings

Wasps are rampant in Ireland at this time of year. In summer, our technicians treat up to 10 wasp nests per day. Wasps are one of the more dangerous pests in Ireland. As they can sting. We find many of our customers are terrified of wasps. And frequently call us even if they don’t have a nest. And have merely just encountered a wasp in passing. More often than not, they ask about wasp stings. Here are the 5 most frequent questions we get asked about wasps stings.

1. What are the symptoms of a wasp sting?

Wasp stings are venomous. And cause immediate pain. The initial sting feels sharp. Followed by a burning pain around the sting site. The pain of a sting can last up to an hour. Although in some cases it can be longer. And can be accompanied by swelling, itching and redness. These are the most common symptoms of a sting.

2. What does a sting look like?

Distinguishing a wasp sting from another insect bite can be difficult. However, wasp stings cause a small puncture wound. Caused by a sting piercing the skin. Additionally, there may be a small drop of blood in the centre of the wound.

3. How do wasp stings differ from bee stings?

Wasp and bee stings are fairly similar in terms of pain and appearance. However, there is two major difference between the two. Firstly, bee stings are barbed. And it breaks away when the bee stings. So it will need to be removed from the site of the sting. Wasp stings, on the other hand, are smooth like a needle. Therefore, wasps don’t lose their sting. And secondly, bee venom is more complex than wasp venom. Therefore, bee stings are more likely to cause more complex reactions.

4. Can one wasp sting me multiple times?

Yes, one wasp can and will sting multiple times. Especially if it feels threatened. Or if it is late summer. Wasps are typically more aggressive towards the end of summer.

5. Are wasp stings dangerous?

Wasp stings are painful. However, they are not dangerous for the most part. Wasp stings are only dangerous to those with allergies to wasp venom. Reactions can range from minor to serious. Minor reactions include hives and dizziness. While serious reactions can lead to difficulty breathing, throat or mouth swelling or rapid heart rate. In the event of a serious reaction, contact emergency services as soon as possible.

Contact UPC

Are you dealing with a wasps nest? Call or email Ultimate Pest Control today for a solution you can trust!